You can download and save the full scheme
of work as a Word document which you can then adapt to your
own needs. The scheme highlights the activity and resources which
can be found on this site. The scheme gives full details of the
interactive and other resources on this site. In addition, you can
look at examples of pupils' work.
Before using the Describing Toys
interactive with pupils please read its Information page
Further information is available about
the toys in the interactive and photo gallery.
This six-week scheme of work is based upon the QCA scheme Unit
1 How are our toys different from those in the past? for
Key Stage 1.
It aims to:
• introduce children to the concepts of ‘old’
• enable them to use a range of adjectives to describe old
and new toys
• help them to identify similarities and differences between
• introduce them to the old toys in the collections of The
• develop their IT skills through the use of online resources.
The visit to The Higgins is
optional but highly recommended.
National Curriculum Links
• Placing objects in chronological order
• Using common words and phrases relating to the passing of
• Identifying differences between their own lives and the
ways of life of their family or others in the past
• Finding out about the past from a range of sources
• Asking and answering questions about the past
• Communicating knowledge in a variety of ways